Sunday, December 11, 2016

Sometimes you have to go with your gut

Generally when it comes to quality teaching and learning I'm a fan of using a strategic approach, but there are also times when you have to go with your gut.

I made a tough professional learning choice last week. I thought deeply about it, and decided that I needed to put a few professional learning tasks on hold so that I could do other important work related to my students and family.

The choice wasn't met with positivity from the professional learning team, but I knew it was the best way. There's a bit of worry with regard to this call, but I'm trusting myself in this regard. I believe to put this professional learning goal on hold for a few weeks is the right thing to do since when I revisit the goal in a month's time, I'll have better energy and greater knowledge to use in order to meet the goal.

Learning takes many paths. Some learning requires good time to simply sit and sift in your brain for a while. This learning grows almost on its own as you attend to other events and priorities. Sometimes you have to trust your gut when it comes to professional learning decisions and movement.