- What will your system's ESSA implementation team look like? Who will serve on the team? Will they be compensated? When will the team be created and implemented?
- How will ESSA affect process revision so that the voices of all stakeholders are included in all decision making?
- What will the State's new accountability systems as required by ESSA look like in addition to upcoming Next Generation MCAS?
- What opportunities related to ESSA's community school legislation connect to the work done in the system where I teach? Will these supports be advantageous to the work we do?
- Will we add paraeducators to our school council this year since ESSA includes greater inclusion of paraeducator (paraprofessionals) in all decision making?
- Will our local union use ESSA cards to note membership interest in ESSA-related issues? I think it would be better to use a Google form than a card for easy data management however.
- Will our local union bring the ESSA Resolution to our school board like so many other local unions have done in our area including Burlington and Lexington?
- Will our system utilize an assessment audit to look deeply at how we use assessments?
- How will our system include all stakeholders in Title 1 Decision making as required via ESSA?
- Will the use of Title 1 money make it possible for paraeducators to attend PLC meetings?
- Will more paraeducators take advantage of our local foundations invitation to write grants?
- How will we ensure that we are putting into place all of the elements listed on the NEA's Opportunity Dashboard? Fortunately many of these elements are currently in place where I teach.
- How will we change data collection to reflect ESSA requirements to report on who exceeds, meets, and does not meet standards, and how students in each of these categories do: 1) economically disadvantaged students; 2) students from major racial and ethnic groups; 3) children with disabilities; and 4) English Learners?
- As more and more information comes out and we learn more about ESSA and Next Generation MCAS, how will we incorporate that knowledge into our current programs and efforts?
Sunday, July 24, 2016
ESSA Shortlist - July 2016
I don't want to lose sight of ESSA, but it will be easy to do given the number of new initiatives that continue to emerge and fill our to-do lists as Massachusetts' educators. Hence, I've created an ESSA shortlist or items to focus on.