Monday, June 13, 2016

Letting Critique Inform and Improve Teaching and Learning

Today I'll face some criticism.

It's related to a school event.

It's not a dire situation or grave issue, but criticism nonetheless.

As humans, our first instinct when criticized is to be defensive and sometimes we don't even take the criticism seriously, but after working for many years, I know that there's some truth in every critique.

Hence I'll listen carefully to the details of this story and see what nuggets of gold I can mine to improve programs and efforts at school.

None of us know it all. Even after teaching for 30 years there's more to learn and better work to attain.

I'll listen today with humility. I'll take the criticism seriously, and use the information to improve the program for the days, weeks, months, and years to come.

I know this matters with regard to the good work possible. Onward.