Saturday, June 18, 2016

Good Teaching Takes Time

Recently I've noted a number of opportunities for teachers to get involved in organizations outside of their schools. The events sound interesting and there's a part of me that would like to get involved, but what I really like more is teaching well and that takes time.

To do a really good job with the students is a full-time job, yet if you don't take advantage of some of these outside offers, you simply won't be able to grow your craft in optimal ways or stay up with the times.

What's a teacher to do?

I think the key here is targeting your efforts. Finding a few places where you're going to truly invest some good time and energy for greater effect.

In my world, at this moment, that results in three areas including math education, better serving underserved students, and local union efforts. I truly like what we're able to do with our shared teaching model. There is so much potential with that model, so for the time being I'll focus in on what I can do to support that growing effort. Onward.