Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Navigating New Territory

"Look deep into nature and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Recently my husband and I signed on to help the local Farm CSA plan its educational program. We did this as a way to learn more about our local community and habitat as well as to grace our summer tables with healthy, farm fresh vegetables and beautiful flowers.

As I continue to work on this effort, I am thrust into the quiet, thoughtful, and beautiful world of naturalists--a world I've visited often through outdoor adventures and teaching school. This new venture finds me entering the natural world at a deeper level, a level of those who have spent their lives carefully researching and tending the land around them.

I know that I will learn a lot this summer from these nature experts--I will learn about the tools we use, the land beneath our feet, how plants thrive, cooking with wild plants, weeds, herbs, and fresh veggies, and ultimately a greater respect for the natural world we live in. I'm sure that this work will, in a sense, quiet my soul and root me more firmly as I navigate this new path--a path that will undoubtedly strengthen my ability to teach and parent as well.


Update:
Note that my husband and I learned a lot as we completed this job. We met amazing naturalists and environmental supporters and enthusiasts. I hope to take what I learned and use it as I forward our collective naturalists efforts with fifth graders in the spring. It was a great opportunity to learn at a wonderful local farm.