Friday, December 11, 2015

Why Do You Do That?

At a meeting recently I lamented the multiple changes that are adding lots of added paperwork to our lives as educators.

The response was, "That's why we don't do those things anymore. We can't keep up with the paperwork; it's not required, so we don't do it." I never thought about that before. Mainly I've been working towards what I think is best for students with regard to learning and their experience of school.  Now, however, I'm beginning to wonder if it's worth so much frustration to try to do great things for students when time after time support is lacking.

I love teaching a strong program. I really like going the extra mile to make school wonderful for children. Yet, I don't like hitting one obstacle after another challenging obstacle that continually disregard my time, money, effort, and best intent.

So what's a teacher to do? The happiest teachers keep a balance. They don't too much or too little. They don't stretch too far. They know it's not worth trying too hard or working too much--they keep the balance.

As I look ahead, I'll strive for that balance. I'll steer clear of those areas where support is lacking and obstacles are gigantic. I'll lean towards the areas where support is ready and waiting.

Today was a discouraging day. An effort I invested considerable time and belief in was lost due to a procedural error. There was no one there to help, and the students lost out on a valuable experience.

I'll be more careful in the future about where I invest my extra time and effort when it comes to teaching students well. I'm tired of bumping up against so many closed doors so I'll lean my path towards the supportive people, paths, and projects. That will help me do what I have to do with greater positivity, possibility, and success. Onward.