Friday, September 11, 2015

Challenge Yourself: Teaching Well

What challenge will you reach for this year?

How will you strive to meet that challenge?

Last year my challenge was to teach in a student-friendly, engaging way and meet standards too. For a large part, I met that goal. When I analyzed my efforts at the end of the year, there were definitely areas for finesse and growth as well. I made some changes, and hopefully I'll meet that goal with even more strength this year.

My goal this year is to reach deeper into the professional sphere of teaching mathematics. I want to read more about the discipline and be more deliberate with my efforts. Thankfully a new model for teaching at our grade level gives me the time and brain power to do this. Rather than dividing my time and attention amongst multiple subjects, I get to focus in on math. While I focus in, I want to deepen my work with attention to cultural proficiency, multi-modal learning, technology integration, active learning, student talk and presentations, and application of current research.

I like having a challenge even though it's often daunting because there's that little voice in the back of your mind saying, "Do you really think you can do this?" Yet, even with that little voice, the challenge propels me forward and makes my work more meaningful, interesting, and effective.

It's only the start of school, but as always by proclaiming my goal, there's a better chance I'll keep it current and meet or get close to the mark.