Sunday, July 12, 2015

Who Are My Teachers?

I have many teachers, and I look forward to learning from them.

Colleagues
My colleagues teach me all the time. Often they probably don't even realize that they are teaching me. For example when I see happy, engaged, and enthusiastic students, I begin to watch their teachers closely noting their skill and leadership. Next year I'm looking forward to listening to those colleagues more and learning how they skillfully respond to the following challenges:
  • Always kind
  • Emphasizing student voice and choice
  • Relaxed and open minded
  • Inquisitive and creative
  • Organized and detail focused
  • Spirited and happy
  • Empathetic and compassionate listeners and responders
Friends and Family
Friends and family members young and old teach me too. I watch their skills and observe their strengths related to these attributes:
  • Friend to all
  • Steady and reliable
  • Accepting and forgiving
  • Tenacious and goal driven
  • Persevering
  • Truthful
  • Creative
  • Kind and Loving
Neighbors and Community Members
In my neighborhood and community, teachers abound. Their lessons exemplify wonderful attributes and traits:
  • Watchful, nurturing
  • Committed
  • Sacrificing for the greater good
  • Invested 
  • Sustaining natural beauty and a healthy environment
Teachers are everywhere in our lives. All we have to do is look around to find the mentors we need to learn well.