Friday, April 03, 2015

STEAM: Sound Exploration

Inspiration for our Sound Unit End Product Prototypes
I want to use what I learned from the Marble Maze Simple Machine exploration to inform our next investigation: Sound!

This unit was birthed last fall when a student reacted to Bash the Trash's cultural enrichment performance with the question, "When can we make instruments?"

How will I do that?

First, I need to learn a lot about sound. I'll research the topic and learn as much as I can in the next week or so.

After that, I will use back-end planning to outline the unit. I'll let the new standards lead that work in part. I've also decided that the end-product of the investigation will be to design a prototype of a playground sound installation, a sound piece that helps teachers and students communicate to one another in multiple ways.

I'll host all information on the our Sensational Science Sound webpage.

Time to dig in, learn, plan, and begin our next exploration, an exploration that incorporates the learning from our simple machine unit. Onward.