Thursday, March 19, 2015

Teacher as Coach and Mentor

Every morning I write.

I mainly write to coach myself forward in order to teach well.

Teaching takes that kind of daily instruction, motivation, and effort.

As an educator, I see my main role as that of coach and mentor.

I want to coach each student with sensitivity, care, and apt learning--the kind of learning that prepares a child well for his/her future of "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness," our democratic call.

As I coach and mentor, I succeed and err--no two days are the same and there's always something more to learn. Sometimes I feel like a rock being chiseled as I continually refine my practice and delivery.

It is work very similar to parenting:

Mission driven work that focuses on the happy, successful growth and development of children.