I want students to be able to do their best on these tests. Yet I don't want the experience to be overwhelming or problematic. The test scores rely on the teaching that's occurred in the past six-seven months as well as a child's foundation and outside-of-school study. There isn't the time or continuity now to make a big impact beyond review since the schedule and supports are choppy due to testing.
Hence, the new schedule looks like this:
March to Mid May
- math/science content review
- test taking
- reading and biography project
- specialist subjects, recess, class meetings
Mid May to June
- reading, writing, and reflecting
- special events: play, biography project, field studies.
That schedule should serve us better than the schedule that preceded it.