What signals this change?
Students seem to call for this rise with their behavior, comments, and pushback--they signal it's time to create more challenge.
What does that look like?
In a sense it's a bit of tightening up the ship with the following actions:
- Greater clarity with assignments.
- Greater expectations for students to access study aids, online websites, and questioning to lead their effort.
- Greater stamina and stick-to-it-ness as well as greater ability to struggle on their own to complete a task.
- More feedback.
- System review and consistency.
- Putting more students in charge of classroom initiatives and events.
This is a good response to the mid-winter angst that occurs. Let's dig in and make some good progress before the sunny warm months of spring, a time when we'll end as we started with a large number of hands-on investigations and creative projects.