Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Ideas Untended?

Rather than jewels, I collect ideas.

I love ideas, especially ideas that lead to positive change.

I am also very sensitive about my ideas because I tend those ideas carefully with research, reflection, writing, careful development, pruning, and enrichment.

When my ideas are disregarded, I am hurt.

For example, a year ago I met with a colleague to discuss an idea. I asked, "Why aren't we working on that idea?" The colleague remarked that the idea was not new and that it's been around for a long time. Then I asked, "Well then, why aren't we doing it?"

Then this year the colleague seized the idea with strength and forwarded the idea without my input or commentary, and now the idea is rooted without me.

Thus the dilemma.

First, I should be happy that a good idea is taking root, an idea that will make a positive difference for children. This is positive.

Next, I need to recognize that if I am free about sharing my ideas, I need to recognize that those ideas will grow in all different ways, ways that move away from my reach or connection. I am committed to sharing good ideas freely because I believe a good idea unshared is potential lost.

After that, I know that in this Internet world, ideas are everywhere and no one really owns any idea because the remix of ideas is steady, ongoing, and ever changing. My original idea came from the ideas and work of many others--it wasn't new as suggested by my colleague, but my research and investment with regard to our students was new.

Yet, the pain exists that an idea shared in earnest (and perhaps too much strength) has been improved upon and shared in my midst without me.

Since there's really no time, value, or promise in the pain, it's important that I understand it and move on. I don't do my work for credit or acknowledgement, instead I do my work to teach children well. Yet we all know the value of feeling like part of the team, receiving credit for your hard work, and working on the idea together--those experiences fuel good work, positive energy, and development.

Good teams work in conjunction with one another--ideas are shared and credit is given to all those who work on the idea and develop its strength. Good teams take time to debate ideas with care too. Good teams grow ideas together for the betterment of the group, and celebrate the success of those ideas as a team.

What would have been great would have been a bit of credit such as "Thank you for the many hours you spent researching and trying out this idea," or "Yes, that idea is solid and we want to work on it with more strength, what do you think?" or "I like that idea, but we need to grow it with a bit more research and diverse voices."

Just writing about this experience brings light and focus. I'll take this learning back to my students so that as I develop our classroom team, I'll be mindful of the way we acknowledge and develop ideas. I also want to make sure that others know that if I misrepresent or use an idea they've offered, let me know as that's never my intent. Finally, I'll continue to tend and grow a garden of ideas related to better work and service, and I'll continue to be on the look out for colleagues and others that want to tend those idea gardens together to better serve the children we teach. That will bring team, and team will give us the energy to do our work well.

If you're a lover of ideas like me and have thoughts on this post, please share. I want to learn more.