Friday, November 07, 2014

Evolution of a Blogger/Tweeter

As I continue to blog and tweet, I am mindful of my evolution in the social media world.

I started tentatively. I wrote my first post and tweeted my first tweet. I watched for a reaction, and I was mindful of any followers or comments.

In the days and weeks that followed, I checked my stats daily, analyzing the response with regard to numbers, geography, time, and content.

I questioned my voice--who am I as a tweeter, blogger, and what are my values in this regard. I made some choices:
  • Write only what you are willing to defend if it were front page news.
  • Don't use names of people or organizations without permission in most circumstances.
  • Cite references, quotes, images.
  • When in doubt, ask a question.
  • Acknowledge your own shortcomings.
  • Keep it positive (most of the time).
  • Be truthful.
My blogging and tweeting was fueled by the fact that the reflective practice and share resulted in better teaching--students were happier, there was greater differentiation, and I was enjoying the job more.

As time went on, I checked my stats less and thought about my voice and discourse more--what words do I want to share, and what words are better left unwritten?  

And now, I continue to blog and tweet to exchange ideas and develop as an educator. I like having the consult of so many wonderful educators and thinkers online--people who are quick to respond if I have a specific need or question, and people that open doors to new ideas, considerations, and actions for me regularly. 

There remain many questions to answer as I continue on this journey, questions that pertain to teaching individual students well with engagement and empowerment, and questions that pertain to content knowledge and lesson design. I use these vehicles to keep up with the latest research, resources, and new ideas. 

In a sense it's the learning journey made visible--a journey so important to the work we do as educators each day.


Note
Godin's post today adds some affirmation to the thoughts above.