Thursday, October 09, 2014

Math: Patterns of Teaching and Learning

Recent parent conferences and test scores have demonstrated the learning team's emphasis on math teaching and learning--everyone wants a strong math program, and that happens to be my main charge as a fifth grade teacher.

Fortunately, I truly enjoy teaching and learning math. I think this is a particularly great time to teach and learn math due to the multiple models, videos, online tools, and other resources available. Truly there's no reason why anyone can't learn math as Godin expresses this in his blog this week. Additionally, we live in a world where just about everything we do depends on mathematical skill and knowledge, therefore learning math is advantageous to an individual's success.

What does a solid, positive math program look like? How can I help every child build skill and ability?  This is the current teaching/learning menu I'll employ. Please let me know if you have additional ideas.

Growth Mindset
First and foremost, I want to dispel all myths related to beliefs such as "I'm bad at math," "People in my family aren't good at math," "Math is hard," and "I don't need to learn math." These beliefs are pervasive in American society and only serve to deter students' confidence, effort, and success in math. The truth is that we can all learn math.

Math Everyday at Home and at School
In school, we'll study math everyday, and then I'll assign nightly math homework. I'll emphasize that students should devote 30 minutes (or more) to nightly math practice with online and offline exercises. A regular routine of math study will build skill, concept, and knowledge.

Math Models
Our math class will emphasize math models by introducing concepts with visual models and giving students a chance to make models as well. Models help students to understand and remember mathematical concepts well. As I see it, the model gives the student a place to connect and store specific mathematical facts and information on paper and in their memory. For example, next week we'll focus on the concept of big to little by looking at multiple counting, place value, and measurement models--all models that provide order with related units. We'll study each unit and the relationship between those units with number lines, numbers, real world examples,  and models that are proportionally correct.

Vocabulary
We'll emphasize specific mathematical language. As Keith Devlin reminds us in his Mathematical Thinking MOOC, mathematical language is literal, and using precise language is imperative in math as it's the way we communicate concepts, sequence, and relationships. I particularly like the way that Khan Academy steps students into the use of precise language with video, models, and exercises. Using Khan well requires modeling, explicit teaching, student stamina, and regularity, yet the benefits of the program are terrific since it essentially leads students through meaningful mathematical thinking paths.  It's helpful for students to begin at an earlier grade level when they are first learning to use Khan, and then build up to their current level and possibly beyond.

There are multiple other ways to utilize precise language in math including written explanations, making posters, completing crossword puzzles, Frayer model vocabulary cards, educator's precise use of the language and more.

Problem Solving and Collaboration
Rather than fill in the blanks math questions and calculations, Next Generation Assessments like PARCC will require that students solve mathematical problems that require a deep understanding of the content and precise process. In other words, students will solve multiple complex problems that include calculation, comparison, and analysis. Providing students with multiple opportunities to work together to solve problem sets is a good way to build mathematical thinking, understanding, and skill.

Automaticity with Facts and Computation
As Willingham emphasizes in his book, "Why Don't Students Like School," it's imperative to move essential foundation concepts and skills from short term memory to long term memory for further learning. This happens when students solidify their math facts and computation skill, and for many, that only comes with lots of practice and rehearsal. Therefore, this will be a big part of our program too. We'll begin by using RTI (Response to Intervention) time to develop these skills for all children.

Online Practice
Multiple tools exist for online math practice and problem solving. The key here is to provide a menu that attracts, engages, and teaches students well. As I get to know my students this year with regard to their skill levels and needs, I'll begin putting together personalized learning menus to meet their math practice needs. Currently I have multiple tools available such as That Quiz, Xtra Math, Fast Math, Symphony Math, Ten Marks (possibly), Thinking Blocks, EDM Games, and more.  I also like the way that Google Draw enables us to make magnificent, meaningful math models with color, images, and more.

Pacing
With a broad list of CCSS standards to cover, there's a temptation to rush the teaching. When you do that only some keep up, and others are left behind. Thoughtful, student-centered pacing is imperative to successful math teaching.

Environment and Materials
The environment needs to support the learning. In that regard, I want to make the math tools more readily available to students. I also want to make sure they have the space they need to learn math well. We have a lot of tools for this study including measurement tools, pencils/pens, graph paper, geometry templates and models, laptops, iPads, workbooks and more.

Professional Development
Keith Devlin's Mathematical Thinking MOOC from the Stanford/Coursera collaboration is a terrific source of professional learning for me as I can quickly transfer the big ideas to my classroom. Also our weekly PLC meeting and broader system-wide share is supporting what I can do for students. I also hope to attend a number of conferences this year to develop my knowledge and ability, and I stay tuned to multiple math threads and share online.  PD in math is a matter of routine, commitment, and keeping current.

This is a post I'll revisit in the days ahead as I fine tune the fifth grade math program for my students' benefit. I look forward to any ideas or suggestions you have in the meantime.

Last year one of my major challenges was how to balance so many subjects and standards, the new model I'm working with this year alleviates that challenge and allows me to focus with greater emphasis and effort on only two subjects: math and science. This is a positive and promising change.