Saturday, October 11, 2014

Support Students by Creating Explicit Learning Paths

Similar to a nature path, a learning path leads us to our 
destination with regard to concept, knowledge, and skill. 
A parent's comment this past week resounds. Essentially, the parent asked, "How do you make the learning explicit?"  Good question.

Then as I interacted with Keith Devlin's Mathematical Thinking MOOC, I thought, This is a good example of an explicit learning path.  Now, how can I replicate that?

First, I organized the path on the class website prior to the teaching.

Next, as the teaching continues, I will revisit and revise the path so that in the future, I use the most up-to-date and potent path for learning/teaching the concept(s).

I'll share the path with students and families so students learn how to use an online path for learning, and parents learn to use the path for supporting and coaching their children.

I'm excited about this more explicit, well-organized, easily accessible, and potent learning avenue.  If you've created explicit learning paths like this for your elementary or middle school students, let me know. I'd love to see some models.