Monday, September 01, 2014

The Evolution of Your Blog

A snapshot of today's Teach Children Well blog.
Do you blog?

If so, why do you blog?

Who is your audience?

What do you hope to say?

How will your blog grow and change?

I've been blogging for several years now. I started because I had a lot to say--ideas I wanted to share, and in some cases ideas that had been previously shared without credit. I wanted a place where I could share my ideas with my name.

At that time, I had been profiting a lot from reading blogs, and felt that the venue might be a good place to share my ideas too so I started a blog. I took some time choosing a blog title because I wanted the title to represent the overarching reason and focus on my blog. I chose, "Teach Children Well," and I'm still satisfied with the title because whatever I do in education is always focused on teaching children well--giving them the best that you can do to forward their learning, confidence, and engagement.

At first, and still today, the blog is mostly about my big ideas and day-to-day efforts as a classroom teacher. Since the big ideas affect what we do as teachers in the classroom, I want to share the ideas I have for systematic change, change that can positively affect our time and efforts with children. I also know that the details matter, and I'm continually reading and researching, then developing the details related to classroom teaching to better my craft.  I share a lot of questions too, and I look forward to the answers I get online or in real time related to those questions. I know our craft as teachers is a moving target, one we will continually develop and change as the world around us changes too.

My blog has been much like a journal, a personal story. Now, I find that I'm moving more towards a magazine platform, a collection of various articles some journal-like, others book reviews, and vignettes and stories about classroom life. Like a magazine, I'm hosting ads too. I want to see what that's like. I'm trying it out.

I'm thinking a lot about voice too as I grow my blog. Who is it that I want to become as an educator? I know I want to continue to develop my craft as a teacher, but how will I move my research and writing forward too so that what I produce truly impacts others in positive ways. Also, what other voices will I invite to share this platform with me in the days and weeks ahead. I know so many dynamic, wonderful educators that have terrific ideas, practice, and outcomes to share.

How does your blog grow? What is the theme and focus of your blogging efforts? Which blogs do you subscribe to and read every day, and why do you choose those blogs?

It's important to stop and think every so often about blogging, an activity that has served so many of us well with regard to developing our work with skill, focus, and success. This regular reflection will serve you well as your blog evolves.