Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Teaching Well: Knowing

Weary from a busy year, it's a bit daunting to look at the new curriculum looming before me. I want to have a teaching year next year that was as good as this year. One factor that made this year a strong year was that I knew the curriculum well.

Therefore there's lots to do to prep for school year 2014-2015. I've written many lists, and each list becomes more and more specific as I understand the details.  So to know the curriculum well so I can teach well. I'll follow this order.

Science
  1. Read the new Next Generation Standards Document
  2. Read the State and system-wide science standards documents.
  3. Synthesize the approaches and focus on six main units.
  4. Consult the blogs, websites, and resources including Mr. Musselman's blog for ideas.
  5. Plan the roll-out of each unit.
Math
  1. Step-by-step review the grade level standards using Khan Academy.
  2. Organize the curriculum roll-out in relation to State and system-wide scope and sequences.
  3. Add related information to the class math website
  4. Participate in DESE math class this summer.
Learning Community
  1. Collect and organize all related posts and activities.
  2. Create a curriculum to implement and share in the fall.
Biographies
  1. Create a biography template to guide the study.
  2. Include posts on character and related skills into the study template.
  3. Access biographies from the wonderful school library collection. 
In many ways I'd like to take a break this summer, but there's no way I can teach new curriculum with positive effect without substantial summer study. Onward.


Resource List
Water
System
Ecosystem
Water Filters
Experiments
Next Generation Fifth Grade Science Standards
Solar Power