Sunday, June 08, 2014

"Perseverance, Secret of all Triumphs"

"Perseverance, secret of all triumphs."
- Victor Hugo

Hugo's quote inspires me as I navigate the final days of the school year, and seek direction for the years to come. I found this quote as I looked for inspiring words to lead my students forward with their TEAM research projects. I was also inspired by Paula White's tweet-question related to the impact math study has had on me with regard to problem solving.

The intersections of math study, perseverance, and problem solving give the teaching/learning path some structure and form as I move forward.

I continue to fight my urge to solve all problems by narrowing my focus to the one that calls me forward with the greatest energy, and that's learning design--designing learning for, and with, students in engaging, empowering, and truly educational ways.

The math study leads me to organize this pursuit in systematic, structured ways that move into the details and out to the greater questions impacting this work.  I am reminded of the Eame's Powers of Ten film as I think of this narrow-broad movement of perspective, a perspective I believe strengthens one's work in any endeavor.

Hence this systematic movement will bring me down a path of learning/cognition, science/math investigation, research, lesson design, delivery, assessment, and revision in the year ahead. I will route this path in a similar way to the step-by-step synthesis, planning, teaching, and reflection of the TEAM Research Unit my students are currently involved in.

The problem at hand is how to teach students with the greatest success. This problem requires the background knowledge related to cognition and learning, the grade-level standards, content, and skill, and a strong understanding of each student's needs and interests. Today this work is easily completed due to so many ready online and real time resources.

Finally, perseverance cannot be forgotten since this path like any other will include many missteps, some big and some small. That's one reason I publish this work as I want those I work with to get involved, question, debate, and assist in this work if interested--I like to work with others, yet the current systems and schedules do not always invite collaboration with work like this due to its depth, pace, and frequent change.

This is a scattered post as I frame the path--a path that requires background knowledge, perseverance, and systematic think and action.  Yet, it's a path worth traveling as worthy learning design welcomes all students to the learning stage, and supports those students with strength. This in turn, creates strong learners who are ready to tackle the challenges ahead with confidence, skill, and persistence.