Saturday, June 07, 2014

Learning Celebration: Graduation

Today I'll attend my niece's graduation. My niece ranks amongst the most talented students graduating this spring. She has been a dedicated student who pushed herself in many ways including the following to achieve:
  • online/offline coursework in school, after school, and during the summer. 
  • long term participation in intellectual, challenging activities such as Destination Imagination
  • lots of community service including tutoring, photography, volunteering at a hospital and local events.
  • summer work 
My niece also profited from the dedication and care of her loving parents who always put their children first with regard to how they spend their money and time.  My sister and her husband shared many wonderful adventures near and far with their children--adventures that fostered tremendous learning and sense of team (family). They also made the time to support their children's activities, and researched and planned for the best activities. I remember my sister waiting in line in the wee hours of the morning several times to sign her children up for high quality, popular community events and classes.  They have a simple home with the tools and supplies for learning and growth, and my sister and her husband are learners themselves always engaging in activities that develop their professional work and service to others.

So today's graduation is a great celebration--a celebration of my niece's tremendous effort and success with learning, and also a celebration of her parents' dedication and care that fostered such an incredible path of success--a path that I predict will end up in service and care to the community at large as my niece transforms her learning to continued work and contribution at the college level and beyond.

The graduation is also a tribute to so many educators who have nurtured my niece and supported her family in this educational journey. I have heard my sister tell countless stories of the support from my niece's coaches, teachers, guidance counselors, mentors, and more.  

Graduation is an important ceremony in our culture, one that we need to honor and celebrate with joy and gratitude.  It is also a ceremony which should invigorate our mission as educators with regard to supporting every child's journey towards learning success.