Thursday, June 05, 2014

Final Days: Celebration and Care

We are in the final leg of the school year with eleven days to go.  There are lots of celebrations including our class TEAM research presentations, field day, field trips, book fair, and school picnic. Also the day before the last day is move-up day--a day when students meet their new teachers.

This is a time of celebration and care.  We celebrate the learning and friendships of the past year, and we need to be especially sensitive as children demonstrate more emotion at this time of year for many reasons. Some are simply tired from late night ball games and lots of outdoor play while others worry about transition and a change in routine.  Then there are those that are just very excited about the days of play to come--days of family vacations, summer camps, and neighborhood fun.

Mindful of this, I'll approach the days with the following efforts:

TEAM Research Presentations
The research and writing is essentially done so now we'll focus on the skills and practice related to giving an entertaining and informative presentation.  Team by team will rehearse in front of me and perhaps others as students work to strengthen their presentations.

Field Day
The focus of field day is sportsmanship, physical fitness, and fun. Our physical education teacher manages this with skill so my role is to support the students so they enjoy the events and support one another.

Clean Up
We clean up in stages, and in about three clean-up periods students empty their desks and take home special projects and papers.

Move-Up Day
During move-up day, I tell my current students that they are about to learn about a new adventure, and I ask my new students to tell me about their favorite learning events to date so I can repeat that kind of learning next year. Since some of my students will be moving up with me, I'll have the students sit in a circle with a new student-current student order so we can share with our next year's class in mind.

Move-Up Packets
Each child will receive a letter which includes study passwords, study ideas, and a supply list for next year. I will continue to update online learning sites over the summer for those who want to continue to share their learning efforts and thoughts in July and August.

Time for Talk
I'll make more time for talk and listening in these final days. Students desire that, and it helps to make the transition a natural event.

The final days of the school year take on a unique pace and focus, and if we're mindful of that, the days become memorable, meaningful days for the students you teach.