Monday, February 10, 2014

Prepping for Parent Conferences: How Do You Measure Success?

With much feedback from many quarters in education, how do you measure your success?

As I prep for another round of parent conferences, I am mindful of this question.

What will I share with families to demonstrate that students' are making gains at school?

I'll prepare a folder for each child including the following information:
  • Students' recent self assessments.
  • Reflections from the Culture Project
  • Scores on recent math/reading standardized tests.
  • Writing samples, scores.
  • Recent math assessments.
I'll begin each conference with the question, Is your child happy at school?  We'll discuss any issues that may arise.

Next, we'll review the assessments and notes in the folder. 

After that, we'll talk about the needs going forward including students' needs for foundation skills, special projects, and any other areas of class life. I'll also check in with respect to students' school/home tech use.  Specifically I'll ask questions related to Khan Math, Xtra Math, our online Home study list, Google docs writing, eBooks use, and home tech resources. 

As far as success goes, I measure my current professional success by the success of my students.

Are they learning with engagement, happiness, meaning, and strong foundation skills?