Sunday, January 19, 2014

Narrow the Focus: Achieve the Goal

Too often I find myself moving towards my areas of competency, and away from my areas of challenge--that's human nature. We enjoy doing what we're good at, and working with those with similar quests and vision.

I've yet to really embrace terrific systems to meet the areas of great challenge, however, I've figure out nice systems for small challenges, the challenges in close range.

But I'm not giving up, so yet again I'll try to reframe, narrow the focus, and work towards one or two of those significant challenge areas.

How will I do this?

First, as always, prioritize.  Keep the momentum and routine going for the areas of competence, and take some time off from honing and strengthening those areas. Those areas are already strong.

Make space in the schedule for the new challenges--make those challenges part of your routine.

Follow the new routine, revise as necessary.

Set a few goals, and perhaps a few nice rewards at times of accomplishment (the lights at the end of the tunnel).

How often do we ask children to meet huge challenges with lots of talk and less action? In what ways do we help our students set apt goals?  How do we set goals for our classroom--whom do we prioritize/serve and when? How do we revise our curriculum/school schedules to help students meet their challenges?

Too often we set goals, and then return to same schedules, patterns, and efforts to find that we don't meet the goals. An obvious mismatch, and one that we often allow.

Let's see if I can meet the goal of resetting schedules, routines, and efforts in the classroom and in my own life so the my students and I can meet the big challenges--the goals outside of our areas of competency and ease.