Friday, November 08, 2013

Course Direction

A bit like a tired toddler's wavy gait, my writing world has been fraught with small errors this week--more typos than usual, email snafus, and wrong links. Hence, time to rest, but before I do, I want to set the course direction for the next leg of the school year journey.

Class Efforts
Recent posts and priorities have created a fine path for student learning and endeavor within my reach.  Editing my job description to match real-time expectations, and planning the path are making a positive impact.

STEAM
The hindered STEAM efforts remain an unfinished story. We've tried multiple ways to embed this work, and have faced a large range of hurdles, hurdles imposed by many who seem to not understand the nature of the way classroom teachers or students do their work, and hurdles caused by our own trouble figuring out the systems at hand and how to navigate multiple departments and rules. Generally we are responsive to the learners in front of us, and adapt our efforts to reach the standards and students' interests in multiple ways sometimes even in one day. Lead time, protocols, collaboration, and extra hands are the ways to help us well--lengthy forms, time-consuming systems, more coaching than help, censorship, cutting statements, and little to no communication are not helpful.  It seems like many still think of technology and STEAM as a topic apart from the typical school day rather than a seamless interdisciplinary component of everyday learning like the "breath" we breathe as Chris Lehmann remarked at the recent MassCUE conference.

I would give this up as personally it's extra work, but my students are calling me daily to continue this exploration of how to move STEAM forward. Daily they describe their learning and play with Minecraft language which is causing a divide between those in the know and those not when it comes to Minecraft-speak. Also, my Minecraft enthusiasts understand relative size and the force of multiple natural powers on creation, collaboration, and survival (I am a true Minecraft baby--I know almost nothing except for the fact that I've played a bit with it and the children we often find to be the most challenging to serve well at the elementary level are generally bright, tech-oriented Minecraft enthusiasts who hunger to build, create, and learn about the scientific world around us.  Also I know that early inroads in this area will attract more girls and underserved children to the science table, and by attracting these children to the table of invention it's likely that inventions will take on a more holistic, inclusive, broad intent and service to individuals and our world.

Beta Testing
The beta testing world has, in part, become a dream world of coaching and support for me.  As I receive multiple invitations to try new tools, I find that the depth and reach of what I can do to teach well is expanding. My work with UClass is forcing me into the standards with depth thus making my daily teaching much better--I'm using more deliberate language and fostering a more thoughtful choreography. I like this challenge and the rewards I am seeing in improved student learning and engagement. UClass is adding the next generation science standards as well so that will offer yet another lesson research, planning, and execution challenge particularly as I think about the STEAM goal above.

eduCanon similarly has offered me a new great tools to use, and 30Hands has offered another one--one which I want to embed more. I'm also excited to try Listen Edition as I work on students' content knowledge, speaking and presentation skills. I have a long list of other offers sitting in my email that I want to organize and try out. In many ways the beta testing is serving as a teacher for me since the start-ups offer coaching and encouragement. The one downside is that my time is mostly not compensated, but for now I'll let that be as I like the growth this is bringing to my ability to teach children well.

Connected Educator
The fact that I'm a connected educator has made a tremendous difference.  It means that I have a ready resource of invested, thoughtful educators a keystroke away when I need them.  These countless educators continually offer me new information, leads, challenges, and support.

The key is to stay connected by engaging in weekly connections through blogs, chats, conferences or meet-ups of any kind. It's also important that I support and contribute too with frequent share and check-ins with those in my PLN.

Recently, Nancy Carroll shared her tremendous work at videoconferencing to broaden students' world view, and I need to follow up on that.  I also am planning to attend the MTA's edcamp/unconference at the end of the month in Boston to connect, converse, and contribute. Further, I'm going to participate in The Global Education Conference once again--though it's a busy time, I always find that this conference propels me forward with my learning and teaching, and I'm hoping to attend Educon in Philadelphia for a boost of new ideas and collaboration.

Being a connected educator has prompted me to try multiple venues in the last few years such as webinars, video chats, new tools, radio, blogging, and more.  While at times it can seem like one more responsibility, what I get in terms of learning, coaching, and collaboration makes these connections worth it.

There are many paths to navigate as we chart our teaching efforts and work. The key is to keep your eye on the many "maps" that lead your direction, and stop now and then to right the course. If I've missed anything, please let me know.