Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Two Roads Diverge and I'll Take Both?

My paths divided in two. I'm taking both, and it's time to reset my vision.  One for the organization I work for, and one for my own life of learning and research.

As for my organization work, the important priorities for the moment seem to be engagement, scores, and service.  That's the cream that's risen to the top.  How can I make each of these goals both meaningful and successful?

Engagement
There's no doubt about it "servant leadership" leads to engagement.  I'll continue to employ that model of teaching.

Scores
While I have all kinds of feelings about scores, I will cull the meaningful aspects of this goal from the title which includes awesome writing, thoughtful reading, and math facility.  I like all three of those subjects, and will work to build a meaningful standards-based curriculum in those areas.

Service
My system regards service to others as a primary goal.  I will look for ways to support and embed this work in my curriculum efforts.

As for my other path, the one that reaches for art, creativity, innovation, and exploration, I'll look for ways to use my love of writing, reading, research, tech, and creativity to enliven my life and hopefully contribute beyond my day-to-day world.  I'm not quite sure where this path will take me, but I know it's a strong stream in my life--one that cannot be denied.

Do you currently live a life of two streams--one for daily needs and one for the world of your future?  If so, how do you manage the two?  What does the balance look like?  Do you have a list of helpful hints?

When I attend the MassCUE conference tomorrow, I'll be thinking of the two streams.  I'll take notes and collect ideas to feed both.  I'm likely to meet some innovative and dynamic people to learn from and look up to in this regard.

Life is such a journey, and unlike Frost's decision for now:

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took". . . .both
"And that has made all the difference." - Let's see?

Note: Quotes come from Frost's poem, "The Road Not Taken"