Thursday, September 12, 2013

The Wavy Waters of the New MA Evaluation System

I continue to explore, study, and try to understand the new Massachusetts' Evaluation System with care.  As I've mentioned numerous times it's a complex process, but not a process without merit.  I still believe that if we streamline and implement this system well, it has the potential to move the teaching/learning profession forward with strength.

Currently I'm exploring my role with regard to this process.  I'm realizing that the language a system crafts with unions and administration impacts how the system is implemented and managed quite a bit.  I'm noticing that teachers' roles in the system differ from system to system, and systems are treating the new evaluation system with a myriad of responses from less to more time, effort, and effect.

At this time my focus lies in supporting educators with the process and doing my best to use the process to develop my teaching/learning repertoire and impact when it comes to teaching children well.

I updated my TeachFocus website today.  Please feel free to use this website to help guide your work in this regard. As you embrace and embark on the process be mindful of your system's details related to the roll-out timelines, language, and efforts as this will differ from system to system.

In some ways, this system has a "choose our own adventure" feel--I wish you well as you embark on this adventure. In the meantime, I'll continue to update, prune, and enrich the website as I continue to learn about the process.  Let me know if there's anything I've missed or other helpful resources and school system stories.  The more we share with each other, the better we'll be able to navigate this potent process.