Friday, July 05, 2013

New Ideas: Gaining Trust?

My husband just finished reading Steve Jobs' biography, and I've been asking him many questions.

Recently, I asked about Jobs and trust.

"How did Jobs earn the trust of his colleagues?" I asked.

My husband responded that he earned the trust because his ideas worked, and those ideas made a substantial difference?

While his answer didn't surprise me, it did challenge me, and make me wonder, Do my ideas and work make a substantial difference?

Earlier in the year, a colleague challenged my ideas by stating that while I try new ideas, my students' scores didn't differ substantially from other teachers.  That statement hurt, but served to challenge, and left me with a number of questions including the following:
  • Are my new ideas targeted on test scores, and more specifically, are my ideas targeted on getting better test scores than my colleagues?
  • Do my ideas result in a stronger program, better service to children, and positive contribution to the school community?
  • What is it about this idea process that keeps me coming back? Do I feel my ideas have impact, and if they do where is the proof?
My answers to the questions above are incomplete, but at present include the following:

Question One: Are my new ideas targeted on test scores, and more specifically, are my ideas targeted on getting better test scores than my colleagues?

There was good growth from many students, extraordinary growth for some, and less than average growth for others with regard to multiple, specific scores. Often one child would "hit the mark" in one area, but struggle in another. Teachers who review scores, and who are evaluated with regard to scores, understand this situation well. The scores serve to assess discrete skills and narrow fields, while our practice serves to teach holistically and responsively. Using scores alone to assess a teacher's work is insufficient particularly when students are taught by many instructors throughout the day as well as the fact that students learn in many ways, ways that cannot be easily "scored" or assessed.

The teacher who challenged me was right, my students' standardized scores didn't differ substantially from my colleagues. My colleagues and I each have balanced classrooms with many diverse learners, and my colleagues are excellent practitioners who are also engaged in numerous new and traditional ideas, strategies, and efforts to teach children well.  Fortunately, overall our students do well with regard to standardized tests and other factors. Their collective success is due to many factors including supportive families, a caring community, responsive educators, and a holistic program focus. My ideas are not focused on competing with my colleagues, instead my ideas are focused on teaching children well.

Should the focus of new ideas be to compete with one another, or should the focus be to collectively teach children well? I believe new ideas should focus on teaching children well.  My colleagues and I all "hit the mark" with some students in specific ways, and "missed the mark" with others with regard to program details and result. The focus with this topic should be, where did we "hit the mark" and why did that happen? Rather than compete, we should collaborate to identify the strategies that make a difference in each classroom, and replicate those strategies and efforts for all children. Hence, I don't think a fair evaluation of new ideas lies with "my scores vs. your scores" as it's much more specific than that. A fair analysis should look specifically at how an idea made a difference for one, two, or more students in my class and/or yours. This is a complex area of school life to evaluate since a child's success is dependent on so many discrete and collective factors. 

Question Two: Do my ideas result in a stronger program, better service to children, and positive contribution to the school community?

In general, I would say that many of my ideas did result in program growth and service to children for the following reasons. My students this year were generally engaged and active as learners day in and day out--this was a positive step in the right direction since the substantial research presented in Hattie's book, Visible Learning for Teachers, Maximizing Impact on Learning, supports engagement and active learning. Also, no one went to the principal's office for a disciplinary action which translates into a positive classroom culture and atmosphere (though there are years when children need the principal's support with regard to social/emotional development). Further, I am well aware of the world around me. The parents of the children I teach are well aware of that too. And while many of the skills, tools, and knowledge I incorporated this year are not on standardized tests, we all know that those skills, tools, and knowledge are part of today's world, and that knowledge provides students with a wonderful foundation with which to grow and interact with learners at school, in the community, and online to further their growth, development, and success. Finally, I surveyed the learning community, students, parents, and colleagues, and the results were positive. And yes, some specific scores point to success too. So, there's some proof that the new ideas had impact, but not the kind of proof that really makes a difference for many, and calls people to stand up and take notice or to trust.

What kind of proof creates trust?

Personally, I take notice and trust in the school house when students are happy, engaged, eager, inspired, and excited about learning--that makes me take a second look at a classroom, teacher, program, or idea. I also take notice when someone "hits it out of the ballpark" when it comes to students' scores--What did that teacher do? I wonder and ask. I also follow students success over time, and take note of the services, attention, and focus that help students develop with confidence, happiness, and success. Those are some of the ways I develop trust with regard to teachers' and schools' work and effort.

How do educators, in general, gain and develop trust? Also, in what ways can all educators work and share so that they earn more trust with regard to new ideas and practice?  And, why is trust important?  

Question Three: What is it about this idea process that keeps me coming back? Do I feel my ideas have impact, and if they do where is the proof?

Since my earliest days, I decided to focus on change rather than complaint. My dad would always say that you can't complain unless you're willing to be part of the solution. Hence, I developed a "we can make a difference" attitude early on as I tried to problem solve around difficult and challenging situations at home, in school, and the community. I'm drawn to the action of positive change, and I am inspired by the many positive changes I've seen in my lifetime, changes that have made a substantial difference in individual's lives. These changes include increased women's rights, better health care, improved education for children with disabilities, life enhancing inventions, laws that ensure greater equality and choice, and greater respect for diversity. I am committed to positive, life enriching ideas and change because those ideas better people's lives. 

Final Question: How does one develop trust, and why is this important?

Trust is important because it streamlines and targets collaboration--when we trust each other, and each other's ideas, we move with more fluidity and purpose in our work to serve children well.  Also, trust creates support, and support helps to move ideas forward with greater focus, strength, joy, and impact. Trust also serves to fuel community, innovation, and ideas.

How can I work in a way to gain greater trust?  I think focus will help--my ideas tend to include everything from remaking school systems to ideas for new playground equipment. That range can serve to confuse and worry some--too many ideas, too much change, and where's the proof that all these ideas will work.  Therefore greater focus on which ideas really matter, and spending the time to research, implement, revise, analyze, and report those ideas and findings will serve to build trust. Yet, as a generalist, it's difficult to find the time to focus on only one stream with great intent since we're responsible for so many streams of learning, teaching, and caring.  

Greater focus with regard to the way ideas are shared can build trust too. It's okay to have a zillion ideas, but focusing on a few ideas to share and grow with the team (this was supported in the book, Intentional Interruption) will serve to boost trust.

Finally, creating success criteria upfront with an idea (as supported in Hattie's book, Visible Learning for Teachers), then assessing the final product in light of the success criteria provides one with a trustworthy analysis to share, one that has a beginning, middle, and end story, and one that colleagues will understand and identify with.

As I think about new ideas and trust, I am wondering what your thoughts are on the topic?  How do you gain trust?  What makes you a trustworthy innovator?  I'm curious.