Thursday, July 04, 2013

Mandela Moment: Fourth of July

Mandela's life has served as a tremendous challenge to me. His actions for freedom, peace and humanity, and his incredible sacrifice stands before me like a magnificent mountain--a mountain I see with awe and humility.

In particular, the way Mandela looks at and works with those who disagree with him calls me forward towards better action, care, and commitment. His words, "If you want to make peace with  your enemy, you have to work with your enemy. Then he becomes your partner," calls forth the very best of us as we move toward work that matters.

Writing about Mandela is difficult as his life is so much greater than words.

In 1990, I had the chance to see Mandela speak at Boston's Hatch Shell. I sat in the center of the crowd wedged between strangers listening intently, and moved to tears often during his speech.

His story, work, and vision are a light for me and so many--a challenging light I am thankful for, and still working to follow.

I imagine that his spirit will be with so many today as they revel at the Hatch Shell on this July 4th, a day when we celebrate freedom, freedom at home and freedom for all throughout the world.

A Mandela Moment.