Thursday, July 11, 2013

Learning to Learn: The Role of Repetition for Close Reading

I am learning about the new Massachusetts' teacher evaluation system with depth. I am using a repetitive process of analyzing each element of the rubric. As I apply this process, I am thinking about what this analysis means for me as a learner, and how I can apply this learning effort to my students' "learning to learn" understanding and behaviors.

When I first read the rubric, it was overwhelming. My first reaction was How can I take in all these elements at once? Yet, I persisted and quickly completed a self assessment.

Now as I analyze one element at a time, I remain overwhelmed by the depth and breadth of expectations, but I also find that the elements create a framework for best practice, one that will serve to lift our profession as long as steady supports exist--supports such as fair pay and reasonable professional responsibilities.

As a learner, it has been interesting for me to take a complex document and break it down step by step. Essentially, a close reading exercise.

What helped?

First, starting with an overview of the entire article gave me a feel for the content, structure, and intent.

Next, developing an initial system and corresponding charts gave me a structure with which to analyze.

After engaging with the analysis structure repeatedly, I find that I'm simplifying the process and making it more efficient with every element analysis. Therefore the repetition led to a more fluid, targeted process of analysis.

Hence, what implications does this experience have for students' close reading exercises and efforts--efforts that develop critical reading and writing skills?

Similar to my close reading process related to the evaluation rubric, I'll move students through a similar process on a regular basis as their success will depend on structure and practice, one without the other will not result in increased skill.

Student Close Reading Process
  1. Survey short text.  Observe and discuss structure and content.
  2. Read the text for meaning--what is the genre, purpose, and content?
  3. Reread and analyze the text with a specific structure(s). 
  4. Write analysis related to specific questions, analysis intent. 
  5. Practice this skill once or twice a week with depth and breadth. 
Close Reading Instruction Questions:
  • What structure(s) best support students' close reading efforts and practice?
  • What texts best support students' practice and skill?
  • What close reading regularity will support student engagement and skill development? 
Teachers' efforts with close reading support optimal instruction and student gain. What has your experience been like with this process?  What structures best support your efforts?  How do you make this effort meaningful and relevant rather than "test prep?" I look forward to your thoughts, and to investigating this area of school life with greater detail.