Tuesday, July 09, 2013

Launching the Writing Year: Details

As I consider the multiple standards and initiatives at play, I find myself lamenting, "There just isn't enough time!"  Yet, I'm not advocating for more time on task for classroom teachers since we're already working multiple hours after school, early in the morning, and in the evenings to keep up with the changes, initiatives, and potential related to teaching children well.

Hence, once again, I promote thoughtful prioritization asking the question, "What's essential?"

As I look ahead to the new school year, I know that teaching children to write well is essential.  In a past post, I assessed last year's writing program finding that we taught the essential elements, but we didn't give enough time for practice.  Hence this year, I will make time for practice (And yes, next year I'll lament that another area didn't get it's fair share of time because simply put, there are more standards to reach than time or energy in a day.)

The way you start the year impacts the entire year greatly because you set the routines, expectations, and structures at the start of the year.  Hence, I'll carefully begin the writing year with students in the following ways.

First, I'll ask students to write me a letter that tells me who they are, what they hope for in fourth grade, and what advice do they have for me when it comes to teaching them well.  I'll use these letters as an initial writing assessment.  As children write, I'll observe how they embark on the task and the stamina they show.  Later I'll read the letters to get a quick assessment of their craft, grammar, voice, and fluency.

At the beginning weeks of the school, I also start regular keyboarding practice probably at the start of most days.  Keyboarding proficiency will help out when it comes to fluid and facile writing.

Next, I'll help students create their online Google writing book and their offline writer's notebook(s).  We'll take the time we need to carefully craft these writing books.  Then we'll make time (a week or so) to practice writing in the books.  I'll start by inviting students to write about anything they want both in school and for their expected 15 minutes of writing each night at home.  We'll share what we write, and talk about the way we write, the topics we choose, and writing challenges we face.

After that, I'll begin to create our writer's workshop routines and goals with the students.  I'll make time to conference with each child.  During the conference I'll survey their writing interests, questions, and challenges.  I'll also let them read to me from their writer's books.

Once we've established the writer's books and the workshop routine, then I'll start using some of the writer's workshop for our first genre focus: persuasive writing.

Our initial PBL of the year will involve creating "I AM" Animoto videos.  That will be a fun way to get to know each other, learn a great tech tool, and possibly have something to share with families on curriculum night or during the first set of parent conferences.

How will you start your writing year?  What ideas or questions do you have for me?

As I look ahead to the year, I like to plan the first units in a "loose-tight" way--"loose" leaving room for response to students' needs, interests, and passions, and "tight" so that I meet the standards for the grade-level.