Tuesday, April 02, 2013

"I Don't Want To Learn This Way!"

Yesterday a child was frustrated with me.

Essentially with words and actions he was saying to me, "I don't want to learn this way!"

This is a bright, tech-savvy, curious child who is full of questions and ready to burst forth with independent learning and exploration.  Further, he's had the chance to connect and work with a tech-savvy STEAM teacher at my grade level so he knows what's possible with regard to learning.

I found that I was frustrated when the child expressed this need.  I was frustrated because I've really been trying to push more tech savvy, STEAM education, and in some ways it's been an uphill battle. Now it's clear that students are no longer going to be satisfied with age-old traditional teaching alone since at home they're able to access invigorating, tech driven investigations and explorations.

I found myself thrust between traditional standards/methods and this young "Mr. Gates/Jobs" with regard to my efforts.  What was I to do?

Afterwards, I pulled the boy aside.  First I said, I value your desire to explore.  I honor your interest and skill with tech, and I'm looking for ways to build in more regular STEAM learning."  Later he came up to me during recess and said, "Can I use this time to explore?"  I said thanks for asking and yes, this is a good time. After that he enthusiastically ran to get his friend and the two of them spent their recess exploring scientific apps and links with joy.

Leadership and community members will have to get behind educators now as we're not going to be able to hold back the flood gates of enthusiastic, tech savvy, bright students, and we don't want to hold them back. These are our future inventors, problem solvers and leaders, the very people we want to nurture and inspire.

Hence, personally I am going forward in the following ways:
  • I will look for ways to exchange teaching/learning with my tech savvy STEAM teacher neighbor so the students can all profit from our combined skills and knowledge.
  • I've already signed up to attend the New Jersey STEAM #edcamp with my tech savvy colleague to increase my learning in this area. 
  • I will grow even more student-centered learning in my classroom with learning playlists, invention stations and personalized learning efforts.
  • I will talk with my students once again about leading their learning.  I'll explain the challenges from the teacher's point of view and together we'll look for ways to move forward.
  • I'll enlist the support of family members as so many of the families in our midst are tech savvy and understand the need for this kind of education.
  • When possible, I'll share these thoughts with leadership. 
How are you responding to students like this?  How are your leadership and colleagues moving forward in this regard? What have you done to emphasize and encourage STEAM learning?  These are important questions as we move schools forward. 

Related Links