Sometimes it seems like people just want to rush initiatives to the finish line without careful thought. That's frustrating as issues that are rushed along usually don't succeed. Great initiatives usually follow these steps.
1. The dream. The desired outcome. The goal.
2. The plan.
3. Materials, people and places.
4. A timeline.
5. Published detailed project plan from start to finish with assessment points to review and revise.
6. Project Execution, revision and refinement. Regular updates to all impacted and involved with the project.
7. Project completion, assessment, presentation and celebration.
I know that not all projects can follow such a neat plan, but I actually believe that most projects that are not emergency events can come fairly close.