Sunday, February 03, 2013

Numbers Matter

Recently a colleague mentioned to me that parents were complaining about an idea.  I responded with the question, "Who and how many?"  I never received a response which leads me to think that perhaps one or two parents had waged a complaint, or that the complaints were heresay.

Even if one person complains, it is important to take that complaint seriously, but one complaint is different from 100 complaints or 200 complaints.  When debating an issue, numbers matters.

For example, I continually look at data with regard to my teaching efforts. I translate that data into a teaching, learning response.  If one child in the class demonstrates a challenge in a particular area, I will look for ways to help that child with structures such as RTI, parent-student-teacher coaching meetings, "email" conversations for greater clarity, individual help, creative employment of assistant teachers and possibly a targeted software or online response. Yet, if the entire class demonstrates a challenge in an area, I will re-look and revise the curriculum choice, design, delivery and materials in an effort to better teach that topic, concept or skill to all.

It is a matter of common sense that numbers matter and should be considered with regard to all debate related to student care and instruction.