Saturday, February 09, 2013

Are We Building Schools for the Future?

I'm fortunate to have a dynamic team at my grade level.  We bring a diverse set of skills and strategies to the table and share weekly.  I wish we had more time for sharing, but we make the best of the time we have.

One of my colleagues, Susan Cherwinski, is implementing many cutting edge strategies into her classroom each day.  What made me take note originally was how happy and invested her students were each day. She and I are engaging in ongoing conversation about moving schools forward.  Here's an excerpt of our recent email exchange:

When we begin to converse about our perspectives related to changing school structures, it’s amazing what we can learn from each other.


Susan's salient points:

  • “. . .educate staff on cognitive skills, teach them about the brain and different learning styles, once teachers "see" how each student learns best, teaching them is easy.”
  • “know each student from the inside out. . .ask questions about how they are at home.”
  • “. . .executive functioning skills are vital and need to be taught starting at the elementary age. . .if we teach them strategies to compensate. . .they are much more apt to be more successful.
  • Encourage “teachers to initiate for themselves, just go for it, try it, don't wait. . .Teachers today need to take risks, as one of my favorite quotes says, "mistakes are proof you are trying."  If I was a leader, I would have each teacher set one of their goals of the year to take at least one risk taking teaching endeavor.  I would allow and push teachers in that direction.  Then set-up a way for teachers to share...both things they found that works and things they tried, but were not a good fit.  We ask the students to take risks daily, why aren't teachers taking risks?”
  • “Every article about teaching today backed by research screams TECH.  If you don't know it, learn it, have your students teach you, ask for help.. . .show you are trying or willing to try or willing to learn..show passion and understanding.”
  • “I also think a great idea would be to fit in a "staff book group." Have admin assign us a "innovative researched" book to read like Hattie's.  give us time to read during PD times and set up other PD times to meet and discuss the book, either in small groups or as a whole staff.  After Mike's (Michael O'Connor) email about the book, Quiet, I borrowed it from the office, read it, and it was eye-opening to me.  I learned a lot about teaching introverts that I truly didn't know before.  If Mike hadn't sent out that email, I probably wouldn't have read the book yet.  Now, I look at my introverts in a different way and I meet their needs much better.  I would have loved to discuss the book with colleagues and share our thinking.”

My thoughts:

  • Foster more dynamic conversation.
  • Set positive, research-based vision/goals based on student needs, interests and passions.
  • Streamline systems, audit/revise roles in many cases to put more teachers in direct contact with students and targeted learning goals.

I’m thankful for this wonderful, collegial conversation.  What would you add? Through conversation we'll build dynamic learning environments.