Thursday, November 08, 2012

The Global Education Conference: Challenges

I signed my students up to present as part of the Global Education Conference.

I felt it would open their eyes and broaden their perspective to actually create and participate in a discussion with students from around the world.

I participated last year and was amazed with what I learned.

Participation has been much more challenging than I expected for the following reasons.
  • I have had minimal support.
  • My time recently has been zapped by my need to defend tech use in my classroom with those in charge of technology (Multiple hours of extra work just to utilize tech well as part of my teaching.)
  • Not enough time to plan for the event since I'm on task with 25 students almost all of my working time during the day, hence almost all innovation and change has to be done on my own time. 
When people wonder why change and innovation doesn't happen more often, I believe the reasons point to the need for better idea systems, vision and more time for teachers to plan and respond to lessons for the large number of children they teach each day. 

It's frustrating to see possibility and promise, and have limited time to make it happen.  Also note that I work in an optimal system with wonderful tools.  I believe this issue doesn't just belong to my system, but is inherent in "factory-model" education systems throughout the USA.

I will go forward with this event and spend the long weekend planning for it in ways that will help my students create the presentation with standards embedded. I don't want to sound like a matyr, and I do want to push forward, but honestly teachers can't do it on their own--we need support. What systems in your organization support the forward reaching work that teachers do, and what systems hinder that movement?  That's an important question.


Note: A small team of students started working on this today. They're working with enthusiasm and wonder--I think we'll be able to present with strength next Thursday.  Thanks for your encouragement.