Monday, November 12, 2012

Global Education Conference: Try it Out!

It's a simple as clicking this link, reading the welcome message and looking over the list of speakers and workshops, then choosing one that fits your schedule.  You won't be sorry.

Attending the Global Education Conference is like a step into the future, as there you'll be conferring with educators and others throughout the Globe discussing issues of importance to you and your students.

Home, a bit tired with a cold, I was searching Twitter for a bit of inspiration when I came upon the invitation to link to Karen Cator's Global Education discussion. Cator is the the Director of the Department of Educational Technology at the United States Department of Education. A couple of years ago I had the chance to meet Karen at the NBPTS conference in Washington, DC.

During the webinar, Cator discussed her department's main focus while participants chatted on the sideline with written questions and comments.  After her talk, Steve Hargadon, Global Classroom organizer, relayed my question about an issue our school is thinking about with regard to social media.  Cator had a great answer for me, one that I'll take back to my school system's vision discussion. Hence, one advantage of the Global Education Conference is that you're able to "talk" to the experts in the field as well as colleagues throughout the world, and take back their wisdom and perspectives to your classrooms, schools and communities.

I'll add a link to Cator's discussion as soon as it is posted, but in the meantime, I hope you set aside one hour sometime this week to try out this amazing online event--you won't be sorry.

Note
If you'd like to participate with your young students, my fourth graders will be leading the conference session, Kids to Kids: Ideas for a Better World on Thursday at 10am EST.

This video is demonstrates Karen Cator's specific comments related to my question about guided social media.  This link brings you to the entire session led by Cator as part of the Global Education Conference.