What does keeping students center stage mean?
It means that you focus your research, planning, implementation, reflection and revision on actions and events that serve children well.
For an elementary school teacher, serving children well means that you do the following.
- Create a weekly routine that best responds to student needs and interests.
- Collaborate with colleagues to best respond to students.
- Create an environment that is welcoming, peaceful and responsive.
- Make the time to build and nurture community.
- Foster two way, regular communication with students and family members.
- Plan engaging lessons and units.
Keeping students center stage helps professionals to prioritize and speak up when important. This is the light that guides good teaching.