I encouraged my students to follow these strategies:
- Before starting a project/job, ask yourself, "What is the job at hand?"
- Think: What tools, people and information will help me complete the job? Access those people, tools and information to get the job done.
- Ask questions. Lots of questions.
- Embrace failure as that's the stepping stone to success. (I shared Blakely's story about how her dad would give the children high-fives when they failed.)
- Do your best.
- Work with positivity and kindness.
- Effective effort.
- Don't give up.
What I liked best about this meeting was the fact that students really understand that success is within their reach, and that success doesn't just belong to a few.