They became very excited and wanted to voice their opinion and ideas. Therefore, I decided that we'd spend some time working as individuals or teams creating and proposing changes related to current learning and classroom design so that all students can learn well. I framed the discussion with the "needs, wants, and desires" framework.
For about an hour, students worked with laptops at tables, on the rug and at desks discussing, researching and writing about optimal design. They posted their thoughts on our closed classroom social network, NING, in forum discussions. Take a look at what 10-year olds proposed below. I welcome your response and comments, and will share that information with students as we continue to explore design for optimal educational effect.
- One of my desires is that everyone should have a bigger desk because some of the taller kidslike me get a bit uncomfortable on the small desks because our legs get bent or crossed.
- I also desire that we should get the chairs that block the sound because you can be annoyed and get into an argument and you could get less reading time and I know how much this class likes to read.
- I think we need to have more recess because we get more riled up when we don't have a lot.
- I want a time of day where we get to play tutpup (online math game) for a while so we can get better at math and typing and so on and have fun with it.
- We need more reading time because then we get a time of peace and quite and to get better at reading.
- I want a calm down cool down time every day because we get to just relax and settle in after the long fun recess and get to digest all the food that we just ate so we can be ready for the learning.