Sunday, March 27, 2011

The Fraction Unit: Planning, Implementation, Review

I'm using this post as to plan my fraction unit.  I welcome feedback and thoughts.

I start with the following steps:
  • reviewing standards for 3rd, 4th, 5th (grade-level, remediation, and enrichment).
  • review of current materials i.e. EDM book, fraction file, videos, online games, projects.
  • reflection about my students' learning styles, classroom materials, and teaching support.
Then I plan the entire unit from start to finish. Regular homework, blog posts, and other classroom activities will support this unit roll-out.  Decisions about specific teaching methods will be made after each lesson/reflection to best meet the developing learning needs of students with the goal of mastery for all.
  1. Informal assessment.
  2. Introduction to many fraction models accompanied by related word problems.
  3. Introduction to the comparison of fractions, decimals, and percents using 100's chart.
  4. Simplifying fractions.
  5. Adding fractions with like denominators.
  6. Modeling student end-unit project.
  7. Giving students time to prepare their projects.
  8. Project presentations.  This is a snapshot of a student team's presentation.
  9. End unit assessment.
Now, I'll get my materials in order, online and offline.  I'll store most materials in It's Learning, our new school system learning management system.  Then I'll slowly and responsively implement the unit step-by-step.