Wednesday, July 08, 2015

Where Does Your Summer Study Path Lead?

Path through summer wildflowers. Image Link
It's important to provide some boundaries to the study path through summer's wildflower gardens as a path with substantial time and connection could lead in a number of different ways.

Hence there is a need to organize the borders and provide shape to this exploration.

What stands tall in this journey?

Right now the next leap is into the realm of College and Career Readiness or "Future Ready" as many say. I have the chance to work with Monson, Massachusetts teachers as they embed future ready attributes into their K-8 curriculum. I'm sure that they already employ a large number of worthy practices in this regard, and my job will be to help them identify the areas they feel they are meeting with strength, and to work on revising or creating new units of study that combine CCSS, State, and system-wide standards and protocols with college and career ready mindsets and behaviors. I'm looking forward to the preparation as I'm sure that it will serve to shore up the units and learning experiences I present to my own students.

Next, I'll complete the Code Math Concepts presentation for the Deeper Learning Math Conference. I'm excited about the energy of the conference organizers and presenters as well as the focus on innovative teaching and learning strategies related to deeper learning.

After that I'll complete the Examine Landmark Numbers and Figures start-of-the-year unit which includes the study of Michael S. Schneider's book, A Beginner's Guide to Constructing the Universe, The Mathematical Archetypes of Nature, Art, and Science.

Following that effort, I plan to complete the SRSD application to all fifth grade PARCC PBAs included in the PARCC Grade 5 PBA practice test as I'll embed those problems into CCSS unit study in the 2015-2016 school year.

Then, I'll begin to add the details to the STEAM lessons, field studies, and special events for 2015-2016.

During the last week in August I'll present in Monson, participate in thinkSRSD's presentation in Worcester, and meet with my TeamFive colleagues to detail the year ahead.

Then it will be time to start teaching/learning year 2015-2016 with the activities and endeavor outlined on this chart.

Laying out the path means that you don't waste a lot of time finding your route. Instead the learning path is easily identified and ready and waiting for your exploration and investigation when you have time.

Of course, there's time for personal matters, family, friends, and fun too as all work and no play makes any teacher dull.

What does your summer study path look like? Where's your main focus? How will charting the path and doing some research over the summer months invigorate the learning/teaching year ahead? These are important questions to consider in order to teach children well during school year 2015-2016.