Tuesday, April 01, 2014

Teacher: Coach?

A relative has repeatedly come home from school uninspired. Why?

The grades are often low or inflated, and the person's desire to do any school work lacking.

What to do?

I could teach this person, but after a long day of work, it's difficult to teach someone at a whole new grade, especially after the person is tired after a long day of school.

What is the answer here?

I wish the child's school would adopt the coaching method of teaching--the method where teachers continually work with children to bring them forward, inspire them, and use their strengths to build their challenges. I wish it wasn't the old fashion "sage on stage," listen, and give a test model--the "got-cha" approach when a child doesn't independently follow through. Instead, I wish for a step-by-step encouraging, coaching model.  Yet with so many children to teach, is it possible for this to happen at public schools?

A neighbor who has her children at a private school speaks of this kind of coaching all the time, but the wealthy, expensive private school has very small classes, few state/federal mandates, and lots of creative options for coaching young children.

I really want schools to change.  It's hard for me to support old fashion schools, management, and speak anymore because I know the difference between what is and what can be.

I will continue to think on how I can help this relative more. And, it's not as bad as it sounds--in some places the child gets the worthy coaching method. I may even look for alternative settings and/or scholarships.  What do you suggest?