Tuesday, July 09, 2013

Teaching Children Well: A Journey of Self Reflection #3

Reflection #3

As I embark on reflection #3, I am reminded about the way I completed my teacher evaluation self reflection last fall. I quickly read through each item on the rubric, and circled number 1,2,3 or 4. There was a lot of information to take in, reflect upon, and assess in a short amount of time.

This daily summer review gives me time to think, and helps me to create a list of worthy professional learning goals for summer study and school year 2013-2014.  If you've been joining me on this journey, please don't hesitate to comment.  If you're just reading about this journey for the first time, I suggest you read reflection #1, then #2 so you understand the process well. 

Standard I: Curriculum, Planning, and Assessment. The teacher promotes the learning and growth of all students by providing high quality and coherent instruction, designing and administering authentic and meaningful student assessments, analyzing student performance and growth data, using this data to improve instruction, providing students with constructive feedback on an ongoing basis and continuously refining learning objectives.

Indicator I-A. Curriculum and Planning: Knows the subject matter well, has a good grasp of child development and how students learn, and designs effective and rigorous standards-based units of instruction consisting of well-structured lessons with measurable outcomes.

Element 1A-3: Rigorous Standards-Based Unit Design


Specific Criteria Analysis: (based on proficient/exemplary rating descriptors)

Criteria: Designs and models integrated and interdisciplinary units of instruction with measurable, accessible outcomes and challenging tasks requiring higher order thinking skills that enable students to learn and apply the knowledge and skills defined in PARCC, state standards and local curricula. 

Key Points/Questions:
  • Designs and models integrated and interdisciplinary units of instruction. What process will I use to design standards-based integrated and interdisciplinary units of instruction on my own, and with my grade-level team?
  • Measurable, accessible outcomes.  What will I use to measure student concept, skill, and knowledge prior to the unit, during the unit, and at the end of the unit? How will I make those measurements accessible to the entire learning community: students, families, educators, leaders, and the community (if community share is desired and appropriate)?
  • Challenging tasks that require higher order thinking skills? How will I specifically design learning experiences so that the tasks are challenging and require higher order thinking skills?
  • Enable students to learn and apply? How will I incorporate efficient, responsive, and meaningful ways for students to learn and apply knowledge?
  • Knowledge and skills defined in PARCC, state standards, and local curriculum? In what ways will I become facile and fluid with all standards and progressions related to the grade level and students I teach?
Teaching Standards Analysis Document (Copy and Use if Helpful)

My self assessment in this category points to numerous important steps a teacher must take to teach children well.  I am reminded of Lucy Calkins' words in the common core introductory video I watched yesterday. She remarks that teachers will have to "ramp" up their efforts to meet these "ambitious standards."  Element 1A3 truly exemplifies Calkins' remarks.  I also believe that these new evaluation standards will result in revised roles and responsibilities in the school house in order to reach all of these worthy teaching and learning standards--too many for one teacher. 

Self Analysis Document (copy if it is helpful to you)