Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Good Teaching/Learning: The Daily Routine

As one who taught throughout the time I parented young children, I can say that one of my lifesavers was having a good routine. If you have a good weekly pattern, the work/family balance seems to be a lot more successful. Also, you have to revisit that routine each new school year so that it reflects the changing nature of your family life, personal needs, and work expectations.

As a mom of young children, I always had one night a week that was mine. On those nights, my husband came home early, made the dinner and took care of the children while I worked late, did errands, and had a little time for friends or other interests. That was a terrific way to ease the tension that working full time and parenting young children can bring. I recommend.

Now as a mother of young adults and a teacher of many years, my pattern has different constraints and opportunities. A constraint is that I'm sharing my car with my children, and an opportunity is that I don't have to chauffeur my children endlessly or prepare every meal. Hence, my routine will reflect that.

This year I'll likely try to use the following routine:

  • Arrive at work early
  • Read, research, reflect
  • Prep materials
  • Teach
  • Walk home
  • Evening study, family, and events
A fairly predictable, positive routine. Let's hope it happens.