Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Persistance or Annoyance: Advocating for Engaging Learning Tools

To move my work forward with students with strength, it's important for me to understand existing systems.  Also, to teach well means that I have to be able to access the best materials out there--materials and tools that are engaging, playful, well researched, and targeted to students' growth.

How do we curate those tools well?  Do we choose more tools or less, and do we let students be part of the curation process?

I am a fan of choreographing the school program with as many tools as one needs. It could be that some tools are used only a few times a year, while other tools are used often.  Whichever, we have to be mindful and inclusive when choosing tools.

I'm also a fan of piloting tools at first. After a review by a learning community team (family members, students, educators, and leaders), let a class or two pilot the tool to see what the effect is like.  Then meet again to assess the result. Don't limit the pilot, but instead, make the pilot inclusive.

I've been persistent as I advocate for new tools. Some may feel that I ask to annoy, but truly I ask to develop the program I present to children.  I want a lively, child-centered program that includes multiple tools.  I will weigh the use of tools online and off with care as I assess the program's strengths and challenges. If we don't readily review, try out, and manage new tools, our programs won't grow.

Persistance for what's best for students is not meant to be annoyance, but instead it's meant to be advocacy for the kinds of tools, processes, and strategies that invigorate dynamic learning for all.