Friday, October 20, 2017

Family-Student-Teacher(s) Conference: A Learning Event

As the young girl read her marvelous story today during the family-student-teacher conference, I realized that the conference is truly a learning event.

The parent and I were learning about the student, and the student was learning about herself as she read her story and made commentary along the way.

Also during this conference period students presented portrayals of themselves as readers, STEAM leaders, students of social studies, and mathematicians. As children sat at the table leading their conferences metacognition grew and so did my understanding of where a child is at this point in his/her learning career and where I'd like to coach the student forward.

If well designed the Family-Student-Teacher conference at fifth grade can be as much of a learning event as a sharing/goal setting event. I want to explore this idea more and if you have anything to offer, please do.