Monday, February 01, 2016

Program Development

As I think about the days ahead, I'm cognizant of the fact that I want to continue to develop the programs I teach. I don't want to lose track of the positive changes available with regard to resources, process, and content. It's clear that to teach well, it's important that we are continually improving what we do.

Today an educator in my building described a situation where a child resisted learning. I wondered about the resources used and how they were meeting the child where the child is. I was reminded of this powerful film that CTQ introduced me to as I continue the TLI (Teacher Leadership Initiative) path:


There are so many ways that we can continue to deepen our programs in ways that help all of us encourage and support the development of creativity, critical thinking/problem solving, citizenship, collaboration, character, and communication skills, knowledge, and concept.

How do we support this ongoing work to better our craft? Who supports us in this endeavor? What are the first steps?

Right now, I'm focused a lot on character and citizenship skills. Tomorrow we'll focus on this as a faculty.

I also am working to make learning more 3D, hands-on, collaborative, real world, and problem based. Using a blended approach, I am telling students lots of real world stories as we start lessons--lessons that are told with maps, images, Twitter, blogs, video, artifacts, and more.

I want to broaden the way students communicate their learning so that we're using the many wonderful tools available in this regard too. And I can't forget it's got to be "more of them and less of me" as often as possible.

The goal is a vibrant, student-directed, brain-friendly, meaningful program that engages, empowers, and educates.  Onward!