Wednesday, February 03, 2016

Honor Courage: Bring it Full Circle or Spiral

"The spiral in a snail's shell is the same mathematically as the spiral in the Milky Way galaxy, and it's also the same mathematically as the spirals in our DNA. It's the same ratio that you'll find in very basic music that transcends cultures all over the world. - Joseph Gordon-Levitt


It took courage to share a list of promising ideas for change with a leader one day so many years ago. I spent a long time perfecting the list and planning my words. The leader invited me in, listened to my ideas, and had little to say in return. I left the ideas, and didn't hear anymore. So I tried again with a new list, new plan, and colleagues too only to be met with similar non-reaction or action. Since then I have not tried again with that individual. Neither effort went full circle, but instead stopped where it started though I saw glimmers of the ideas expressed develop elsewhere after those words were shared.

No matter what our status or role, we will work with others, and sometimes those "others" will bravely come to us with new ideas, perspectives, and thoughts. How do we react to those individuals? Do we listen, but not act? Do we promise, but not fulfill those promises? Do we react somewhat, but not bring the response full circle?

Is it a "circle" we're looking for, or should we aim for the spiral, a continued upward movement as we deepen our connection and effort to collaborate around issues that are important to us and those we serve.

So many issues, initiatives, and efforts don't go full circle or spiral up. So many are mired because of our difficulties with collaboration, communication, time, and focus. How can we flexibly and positively move ideas and efforts ahead? How might we honor the courage and dreams of those who bring new ideas and perspectives to us? How will we work with one another to empower each other in this regard?

As I work to deepen and better my practice, these are questions on my mind today, questions I will seek to learn more about in the days to come.


Aside: As I think about the match between betterment ideas with beautiful images of spirals, it makes me wonder more about the patterns of nature and the patterns of thought and action. Does nature guide us toward greater beauty and truth in its patterns and structures?