Thursday, October 02, 2014

Private School Mentality in a Public School

In so many ways, I see education differently than many educators, and that's often frustrating.

Last year when I attended the Poughkeepsie Day School, I found that the school's environment, mission, and vision were much in line with my educational thoughts and beliefs.

Some may say and have inferred, why not move to a private school? And my answer is that I believe in the promise and potential public school holds for individual's lives, communities, our country, and our world. I continue to believe that a well-educated populous will lead us forward with strength and happiness.

Where do my thoughts and ideals differ?

First, I'm a big fan of personalization not one-size-fits-all. Today the local paper had a story about a one-size-fits-all initiative, and while the initiative wasn't bad, I felt it was short-sighted with regard to to the many ways students learn, and the need for more active 3-D learning rather than passive fill-in-the-bubble and swipe your finger learning.

Next, I'm a fan of quick response. Rather than waiting a year for the typical budgeting process, I'd rather see more fluid systems that can respond to research, new ideas, students' needs, and interests.

Further, I'm a fan of deep, inclusive problem analysis and transparent share--I know that the more people know and understand about an issue, current events, and plans, the better everyone will do with their work. I believe this is true in all but the utmost personal and private matters. Too often people reach for the quick fix or the way we always did it, rather than seeing structures, programs, and routines with new eyes and a sense of possibility.

After that I believe schools should resemble Google, IDEO, and other modern design studios and cozy home spaces as I think comfort matters when it comes to learning. The traditional chairs and desks send a message to students about the nature of learning and school--a message that is mostly untrue when it comes to the most potent ways to learn.

Yes, I'd like to see almost all of the old-time factory structure of schools crumble, and be replaced by child-friendly, researched-based learning environments that invigorate study, empower every child, and focus more on learning and creativity than uniform behavior.

Yet, for the time being, I'll continue to work in the evolving educational world--a world that's in some ways stuck to traditions, some that work and some that don't, and in other ways is moving forward with recognition of the new ideas, practice, and structures that cognitive science and world needs are revealing. I know the evolution will continue, yet I'd like us all to think a bit more deeply about what we're doing and why we are doing it, and make that conversation transparent. What do you think?