Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Visualize the Day Ahead: Finding that Rhythm

I typically run through the day ahead with visualization in the morning. I often write about the day too, and sometimes I share the description with students. I revisit same ideas often to solidify the thinking so when I'm teaching I'm on go--focused with the important criteria and priorities.

I'm really working towards getting that daily rhythm, the same rhythm that Justin Schwamm ( ) recently wrote about.

So today, I'll work towards that rhythm in the following ways:

Morning Routine: Be available for questions, watch how students navigate the morning routine on their own, and help out when needed.

Class Meeting: An administrator will lead the meeting. This will give me a chance to observe my students, listen carefully to their words, and determine how I can serve them well.

This mini poster can use an update--maybe students will do that. 
Math Study:  I want to start the lesson by talking about how to make the best use of our time to learn, and how to make positive independent learning choices. I think I'll share this mini poster about learning roadblocks. Then students will move about the room completing a math project we're working on. I'll coach for precision and accuracy with this number quilt activity.

Professional Learning: I want to listen to our math goals and learn about the valued tools at this meeting. I will reflect as I listen, and synthesize those ideas with this year's math program and professional math learning.

You mostly have to listen to the beat to understand the rhythm, and that's what I'll do today.